Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Gamifying Education

After watching Penny Arcade TV’s season 2, episode 15,Gamifying Education”, I found myself fond of the idea, but worried about the faults.

 
To begin, I agree with the video’s phrase, “Progress encourages progress”. With a systematic grading procedure, if I coincidentally get an A+ on a class test, therefore making progress towards passing the class with a positive grade, I’ll want to proceed to get A’s on future tests to hopefully end the class with a positively passing grade. I also agree that a point-based XP grading system appears more rewarding and self-satisfying.
 
The idea of letting students receive powers can choose themselves and class-wide achievements, is very appealing to me; however, the idea of letting students choose powers seems pointless. Why would I, as a student, want game-based powers which actually will do nothing for me?
 
 
As I continued to watch the video, I began thinking of the obstacles implementing gamified schooling and I thought about the introduction phase. The video discusses how essentially hiding quests creates mystery, pulling the students attention towards discovering new quests, but, as with every experiment, there are always going to be outliers. What would instructors do if the students simply don’t want to progress, don’t want to learn, don’t believe they will be learning anything new or aren’t pulled in by the so-called mystery and don’t want to discover new quests? Should instructors simply ignore the student or should they try to implement a discipline system? (Ah, but now I’m going off on a tangent.) This brings me to a related question, if quest subjects are spread across the board to encourage every individual to achieve top experience points on a quest, what about the outliers?
 
Overall, the idea of gamifying education has much merit and the idea of experience points appears to be very self-rewarding, but I think there are hurdles the ideas must overcome.  What do you think magnificent readers? What’s your opinion on the possible oversights of gamifying education?
 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you bring attention to a few problems very nicely. But with the introduction of a new idea, hurdles will always occur. Personally, I think the kids that don't want to learn won't put forth an effort regardless of the structure of the class. In college, you pay to be there. Why not work hard and get your money's worth? As far as high school level education, I think the idea will be rejected at first (I'm thinking of a part in Shrek 3 where the boy yells help there is an ogre trying to relate to me), but I think it will eventually be adapted and accepted as a good system. I think the grading system makes it completely objective, which is always a plus for the teacher. I think this type of education is the way of the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Thank you for the comment!) I think I could agree that kids who don’t want to learn simply won’t put forth an effort and get their money’s worth, unfortunately. Personally, I think this educational system would do really well with elementary and middle school students, but overall for a college course, I kind of like this way of learning. Overall, I agree that this type of education is the way of the future.

      Delete